The AIDS Scholarship Programme 2022 provides financial assistance to eligible applicants around the world to attend AIDS 2022 either in person, in Montreal, Canada, or virtually.
The programme supports individuals who contribute to the conference programme, as well as applicants who can demonstrate that they will transfer the skills and knowledge acquired at the conference to the work they undertake in their own organizations and communities.
- 1 December 2021: Scholarship application platform opens
- 31 January 2022: Scholarship application platform closes for non-IAS Members
- 7 February 2022: Extended scholarship application deadline for IAS Members
- Early April 2022: Applicants will be notified about the status of their application
AIDS Scholarship Eligibility
The AIDS Scholarship Programme is open to anyone working or volunteering in the field of HIV and who is at least 16 years old on 27 July 2022. Priority will be given to:
- Abstract presenters, workshop facilitators and organizers of Global Village and Youth Programme activities whose submission has been selected for the conference
- Applicants from lower-income countries
- Applicants who belong to key populations and people living with HIV
- Young people and junior investigators below the age of 35
- Applicants who did not previously receive a scholarship for an International AIDS Conference
Types of support
Applicants can choose whether to attend the conference in person or virtually. You can request financial support for registration, travel support, accommodation, daily living allowance and/or virtual accessibility support, depending on the type of attendance applied for (in person or virtual). The type of attendance does not have an impact on the likelihood of obtaining a scholarship.
You can request the following support:
- Registration for the conference (includes access to all sessions at the conference venue, as well as access to the virtual platform)
- Travel support (pre-paid economy class ticket from the nearest international airport)
- Accommodation (single room in a budget hotel or student accommodation)
- Daily living allowance for the duration of the conference
Applicants applying for in-person attendance of the conference are strongly encouraged to ensure that they comply with the Government of Canada’s entry requirements, as well as COVID-19 travel regulations when they apply for the scholarship. This includes vaccination mandates and other measures for travelling to Canada. Please check our immigration page for up-to-date information on this.
You can request the following support:
- Registration for virtual attendance of the conference (full online access to all conference sessions, including virtual networking sessions)
- Accessibility support for virtual attendance (subject to availability, applicants with connectivity challenges can apply for a SIM card, data package or device to facilitate your access to the online content of the conference)
Instructions for the AIDS Scholarship application process
The application process is entirely free.
- You must submit your scholarship application on the scholarships section of the AIDS 2022 conference profile platform from 1 December 2021 until 31 January 2022, 23:59 Central European Time (CET) (7 February 2022 for IAS Members). Applications via email are not accepted and must be in English only.
- Do not register for the conference before your submit your scholarship application. If you are granted a scholarship, we will not be able to reimburse you for any costs you have incurred prior to receiving a scholarship. All applicants will receive an extension of the early registration fee.
- The profile information in your AIDS 2022 conference profile must be complete before you start a scholarship application, including all fields relevant to scholarships. You will also be asked about the organization that you work or volunteer for in the field of HIV.
- Then you will be required to answer some brief questions about your experience in the field of HIV, motivation to attend the conference, and how your participation at the conference will benefit your community. You will also need to attach a letter of recommendation from a manager, colleague or peer.
- You can save your online application at any time, and come back to finish it later. However, if your online application is incomplete or the recommendation letter is not submitted by 31 January 2022, 23:59 CET (7 February 2022 for IAS Members), your application will not be considered.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email containing your scholarship application number. Please save this number and check your email regularly, as this will be
To apply go to https://www.aids2022.org/take-part/scholarships/